|Author:||Edward Hayes Plumptre (1821-1891)|
|Composer:||Basil Harwood (1859-1949)|
- Your hand, O God, has guided your flock from age to age;
your faithfulness is written full clear on every page.
Our forebears knew your goodness, and we their deeds record;
and both to this bear witness: one Church, one Faith, one Lord!
- Your heralds brought glad tidings to greatest, as to least;
they summoned all to hasten to share the great King’s feast;
and this was all their teaching in every deed and word,
to all alike proclaiming: one Church, one Faith, one Lord!
- Through many a day of darkness,
through many a scene of strife,
the faithful few fought bravely to guard the nation’s life.
Their Gospel of redemption, sin pardoned, life restored,
was all in this enfolded: one Church, one Faith, one Lord.
- And we, shall we be faithless? Shall hearts fail, hands hang down?
Shall we evade the conflict, and cast away our crown?
Not so; in God’s deep counsels some better thing is stored:
we will maintain, unflinching, one Church, one Faith, one Lord.
- Your mercy will not fail us, nor leave your work undone;
with your right hand to help us the victory shall be won.
And then by earth and heaven your name shall be adored;
and this shall be our anthem: one Church, one Faith, one Lord.