Who’s Funding Chantry’s Defense?

By | September 19, 2018

Since his initial arrest in December 2016 Thomas Chantry has been represented by John Sears, one of the top attorney’s in Arizona. Sears doesn’t come cheap, leaving me to wonder who is bankrolling Chantry’s defense?

Documents Chantry filled out at the time of his most recent arrest on September 10th indicate Chantry has an income of $2,000 per month. That would perhaps purchase you four hours of John Sears’ services.

My guess is Al Huber, Chantry’s father-in-law is the individual largely responsible for bankrolling Chantry’s defense. Huber owns “NAFCO” a successful machine shop that employs 43 people.  I guess the number of employees is now 42 since Chantry has been arrested.  That’s right, in addition to likely being the source of Chantry’s defense fund, Huber also employed Chantry as a “buyer of raw material/manufacturing.” Perhaps Chantry also takes a turn leading the weekly bible study for NAFCO employees!

24 thoughts on “Who’s Funding Chantry’s Defense?

1. Cypher

The questions to be asked involve the correspondence between the Chantry controversy and the “Impassibility” doctrinal controversy, both within ARBCA, both coming to a head at similar times. The doctrinal controversy resulted in nearly 1/3 of ARBCA churches either being disfellowshipped or leaving the association. Along with this, a large number of missionaries suddenly became orphaned and defunded. Yet the missions fund continued to collect money – and disburse it.
    I wish I had copies of records to show. Unfortunately, I’m one of those who was forced out and those records are sealed. But the head of the AC at the time when both these controversies were converging not only knows, but was instrumental in key decisions to redirect certain funds for legal defense, intended to protect the association from exposure.
    Let’s all hope and pray that providence will provide for them to be fully exposed anyway.

1. Douglas R Belardi

Was Pastor Douglas VanderMeulen, Chairman the then (2016?) AC head?

1. Brent Detwiler

Douglas VanderMeulen was Chairman of the Administrative Council during their 2014-2015 term. He was followed by Earl Blackburn in 2015-2016.

2. Brent Detwiler

Cypher,

“But the head of the AC at the time…” Are you referring to VanderMeulen (2014-2015) or Blackburn (2015-2016)?

Thanks
      Brent

1. Cypher

Your post spells it out as well as I understand the facts. I’m not sure what, if anything, Earl Blackburn’s knowledge or involvement may have been.

2. Dee

At the rate Chantry is going, he will need to get a court appointed attorney and apply for Welfare. Am I misreading this? He has about $194 to his name? I wonder if he tithes anyway? Isn’t his wife working?

1. 2samuel127 Post author

In Karen’s most recent letter she asked her friends to “pray for me as I have to work full time and still raise my children.” My guess is she will show up at her dad’s machine shop for a few hours a week and be rewarded handsomely for her efforts.

1. David

Todd,

I don’t think this is a fair statement. Nor is it kind. Tom Chantry should go to jail for the things he has done, and I hope that Karen will realize that her husband is guilty and unrepentant, but she does still need to raise her children and provide for them.

Do you know what it’s like to have children whose father is absent and struggle to work and to care for them?

I don’t, and I think we should pray for her. Pray that her children will not suffer the ill effects of a father who has abused others. Pray that Karen will have the help she needs to raise them right.

Her children didn’t do anything wrong. They, too, suffer because of their father’s actions, and they’ll deal with this for the rest of their lives.

I think it would go a long way to have some compassion for them and for Karen who will need a great deal of help in the years to come.

And what if her father does help her financially if he’s able to do so? Wouldn’t it better for her to be able to devote more time to her children than having to be away from them working? I think so. I imagine they could use all the support they can possibly get from their mother right now.

1. 2samuel127 Post author

David,
          Unfortunately there are a lot of people who are suffering because of Thomas Chantry’s sexual sadism and pedophophilic ways. Chief among them are his victims and their families. I guess you forgot to mention them. I harbor no ill will towards the Chantry children but given the options of Tom being in prison and his children being raised without him around, or Tom being around to raise them while continuing to savagely beat and molest the children of other parents, I choose the former. The only thing I pray for Karen Chantry is that she end the games and start telling the truth.

1. Van Helsing

I agree! TC’s children are victims in all of this and I continue to pray for them. They will bear these scars for a long, long time. They are part of the collateral damage caused by TC’s crimes – just like the children of other criminals. Of course, TC never thought of how his actions would impact others because all he could think of was himself and his own personal gratification. He was skating free all the years due to all his minions covering for him. This seems like a direct story line out the movie, “The Omen.”

I cannot help but think of this charade as the Tom and Karen “dog and pony show.” It had a long run with both being irresponsible adults (fake Christians) and manipulating and fooling others through their phony beliefs, false piety, and shows of religiosity. They both want others to think and believe that they are saved but their rotten fruit betrays them. They show much PRETENSE borne of self-delusion which is a huge demonic sign for anyone involved in deliverance ministry. I have actually seen the pretense phase in a few cases.

Well, it seems that the show is over. Their cover was blown. They have been exposed for the religious frauds they are. Just imagine trying to “manipulate” God – mocking God – by pretending to do His will but only satisfying their own twisted desires while appearing righteous. That is what angers me so much – the damage caused to children, others and the church. Hypocrites both. May God have mercy on their souls if they repent.

2. a former ARBCA church attendee

I think both of you have valid points. I think we should remember that everything here is not black and white, easily and clearly defined and explained. Everyone involved is a person with his/her own experiences, thoughts, and emotions which color how they see this. This is not to say that TC is innocent by any stretch of the imagination. I am simply suggesting that we try to understand Karen’s position before totally demonizing her. I do not know her, but based on what has been posted, it seems she grew up in a pretty conservative Christian environment where men are the leaders in all aspects of life. She has probably been conditioned all her life to be “submissive.” She likely believes that it is her God-ordained role to obey and support her husband. This has to be creating incredible mental and emotional stress. Perhaps TC being in jail will give her a break from the mind control and help her to see the situation for what it is, something to condemn and separate herself from. At that point, I would expect that she would have tremendous sympathy for the other victims of TC. Remember that her position here is not unlike those of the children TC was tutoring who didn’t feel like they had any recourse at the time of the abuse.
            I guess what I’m trying to say is that while Karen is fully responsible for her actions, we should also recognize that her situation is complex and difficult. What may seem clear to us at a distance may look very different to her living in the middle of it.

3. Raoul

I agree with David. Karen Chantry is not the felon here; she’s just married to the felon. How is it beneficial to scourge her with the same thongs used on her husband? She’s committed no crime, she has not orchestated the ARBCA cover-up, nor has she penned the verbose, flaccid 17-page response from ARBCA (Part I). There is a possibility that all of Tom Chantry’s offenses occurred prior to their marriage; time will tell.

As for the means by which Chantry’s defense is being funded, I would urge members of all ARBCA churches to ask and demand an immediate yes-or-no answer from their deacons and elders as to whether any of their tithes and offerings are being allocated for this purpose.

4. Rae

I agree with what David, a former ARBCA church attendee, and Raoul have said. It is incongruous to expect Karen Chantry to speak out against her husband. She has almost assuredly been trained (some, myself included, would call it programmed or brainwashed) to believe and trust in the leader of their family, her husband – at all costs and NO MATTER WHAT. In fundamental circles (at least the ones I’ve been a part of), the husband is nearly always right, and if if there’s a problem in the marriage, it must be something the wife is doing wrong. I’ve been in more than one church where the women are taught that if there is a problem in your marriage, that the wife needs to go and pray about what she is doing wrong, because she must be approaching her husband in a wrong or disrespectful way, or must be angering him in some way, or not living up to her God-given responsibilities as a wife, etc.

If he’s grouchy or abusive, she must not be keeping the house well enough, or keeping good enough control of the children. If the husband is tempted by another woman, she must have left herself go, become overweight or unattractive. If the husband is unsuccessful in his career or business, the wife must not be supporting or “honoring” him enough to others. And in general, if a man in the church is tempted by lust, it must be because the women of the church are dressing too provocatively, and on and on it goes.

I understand why Todd and others who may have observed Karen and Judy (Tom’s sister) coming out of the courtroom laughing after hearing the victim’s testimonies found their behavior inappropriate and lacking compassion. I also believe that Karen Chantry probably loves her husband with all her heart and simply CAN’T believe that the man she loves and shares children with could be capable of such things. How many of us have been blinded by loyalty and unable to comprehend something bad about another person? And how many of us have been utterly shocked to finally learn the truth? I think if we were honest, many of us would say that we have been in that situation ourselves. Just think of the #metoo movement and how many highly respected individuals have been accused of being predators, and how many of them have admitted to the same, much to the surprise of those closest to them? Just remember, when looking at any situation, each of us is influenced by our own biases, previous training, life experiences, etc. What seems so ridiculously obvious to one person may be completely invisible to another.

Who knows, perhaps Karen Chantry believes that Tom is still being “persecuted” with the latest arrest because she’s not been praying hard enough for him? When you have a belief system that consistently puts so much onus on one gender, while exalting the other gender to, in many instances, such high and revered status with unfettered power, perhaps a conversation about said belief system and the imbalance it creates is long overdue. On one hand, Karen has been taught to be the dutiful wife, has probably been indoctrinated her whole life with the list of requirements of a “godly” wife (according to the church’s tenants), and now we expect her to renounce all of that and make a stand publicly against her husband. I think that is an unrealistic expectation, and as others have stated, unfair. Not to mention, even if she were so inclined, John Sears had surely schooled all involved about how any hint of dissent or doubt on the part of Chantry’s supporters could have catastrophic effects on outcome of the trial.

3. Van Helsing

I cannot help but wonder if any members of the Rockford church are unknowingly funding Chantry’s defense? I suspect ARBCA has contributed little financially since many of their funds are probably being diverted to the new seminary in Texas where they can train more Chantry types for ministry.

Good luck with that after this cover-up fellas. Thanks Tom, Walter, and Al. Guess what? Sin usually always has far reaching consequences and rarely just affects the perpetrator involved. There is always collateral damage beyond the direct victims involved. Oh yeah, narcissists don’t get that part. I forgot. Sorry.

It looks like Al Huber will be working into his mid-80s with no “golden years” extravagances and little to no inheritance for his children. He, like many others in well-to-do bankrupt Illinois have bankrupted his/their futures to foot the bill out of guilt and misguided love. Has it been worth it? Can anyone feel bad or sorry about that?

If yes, then I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale.

4. Samuel Conner

Perhaps a valid interpretation would be that the provision to TJC of “the best criminal defense counsel money can buy” removes all reasonable doubt of his guilt when he is convicted — cannot blame incompetent counsel. This, in turn, vitiates ARBCA’s attempts to shield itself from responsibility for protecting him.

On that interpretation, Mr Huber may be “doing God’s will” in a decretive sense. “Judgment begins with the house of God.”

5. Douglas R Belardi

at $500 an hour , the legal tab must be approaching at least $150, 000, add bail and miscellaneous costs; the costs must be be bankrupting Huber and Walt Chantry and I say “good”

1. Douglas R Belardi

I said at least
        probably $250,000, approaching $400,000 after the next trial

1. Headless Unicorn Guy

Cue the Sacrificial Giving Sermon from all pulpits — “TITHE! TITHE! TITHE! TITHE! TITHE! TITHE! TITHE! TITHE! TITHE! TITHE!”

Make sure to include the “PERSECUTION!!!!” Card, Spewing out of the Lukewarm on the Last Day, and Crying on Cue with “Movement of the Spirit”.

6. Van Helsing

Boy, this makes me more saddened then ever since I know Al Huber and had always considered him to be a godly and humble man. Can one remain godly and humble yet deny the reality of sin and its negative and disastrous consequences to many people especially TC’s victims?

Over time I actually came to love Al as a brother in the Lord and looked forward to him “filling the pulpit” in the absence of TC who was arrested and in jail. He seemed very knowledgeable of the Word and used good old fashioned home spun wisdom to effectively communicate God’s precepts. That seemed very genuine to me and others. How can such a disconnect happen?

It is so tragic that he is, most likely, funding most of this debacle, because of his love for his daughter and maybe out of guilt for allowing her to marry TC to begin with. I simply cannot imagine what the believers in the Rockford church must now be going through having to accommodate and abet the Chantry’s at this time. No doubt I will again weep about this situation and for all involved.

The tragedy of unrepentant sin is so devastating to the body of Christ but only those who are of the elect can comprehend this.

1. Headless Unicorn Guy

How hard is it to understand something when your paycheck, power, and prestige all depend on you NOT understanding it?

And Family alliances are involved.
      Specifically, House Huber’s union by marriage to House Chantry.
      Like House Baratheon and House Lannister.

7. Douglas R Belardi

is daddy Walt chipping in?
    and who is contributing to his legal defense fund?
    ARBCA as ARBCA or just individually?