Day Twelve of the Thomas Chantry Trial

By | August 16, 2018

“The Victims want the peace of mind that justice was finally served.”
-Prosecuting Attorney Susan Eazer

Today was a day dominated by Closing Arguments.  It was also a day dominated by emotions. I counted seven Victims or family members seated behind Prosecuting Attorney Susan Eazer, in the front row of the gallery. Their presence attested to their bravery. They knew they would once again be subjected to lies and insults as the Defense Council ran roughshod over them in a futile attempt to advance Tom Chantry’s deceitful narrative, yet there they sat, a silent monument to their determination to see justice done.

To every Victim that testified in this case, I thank you. To every family member who testified, I thank you. May the God of all comfort bring to you comfort, peace, and restoration of your families. You are my heroes.

To Tony Camacho, thank you for all you do for the victims and their family members. I have watched you throughout this trial and am in awe of your tender, loving concern for all you come in contact with. When I see you, I see Christ.

To Susan Eazer, thank you for your passionate, tireless effort, so obvious to all of us as you fight for justice on behalf of the victims. Your opponent may be better funded, have more personnel at his command and have much more time to prepare his case, yet no one can match your zeal and tenacity. I greatly admire you and thank you for a job well done.  The battle draws to a close tomorrow. Whatever the outcome, you have gained a fan.

Kind Regards,

Todd Wilhelm

110 thoughts on “Day Twelve of the Thomas Chantry Trial

1. JLC

Hi Everyone,

Sorry about the slow comment moderation, and I’m looking into reported tech issues.

Todd and I are recovering today from both the incredible, if exhausting, task of running this blog over the past four weeks, as well as our mixed feelings about the outcome of the trial.

We’re grateful that Tom Chantry is being held responsible for brutally beating up small children under the guise of being a good Christian leader.

However, like most people, we also believed that he was guilty of child sexual molestation and are sorry that the jury could not reach a verdict regarding most of those charges.

Of course, a major factor in that situation was the decision of several ARBCA leaders, also masquerading as good Christian leaders, to illegally obstruct justice and refuse to report credible child abuse allegations to the civil authorities,18 years ago.

So we apologize if comment moderation is a little slow today. Thanks so much for all the support.

Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

1. Van Helsing

We’re just so glad that you and Todd are alive and have not lost your marbles like myself. God bless you both.

2. Rae

To the victims of Thomas Chantry:

Please know that there are many, many people who stand with you, irrespective of these verdicts. I know that I speak for many others when I say that WE HEARD YOU AND WE BELIEVE YOU. Although there was apparently at least one person who was swayed by his performance at trial, I, for one, do not doubt that he committed these offenses against you.

Since when does”discipline” involve fondling? And since when does”discipline” involve beating? Ridiculous.

Stay strong – you’ve made it this far. We’re with you!

1. 2samuel127 Post author

Yes, I believe and stand with the victims, and if you read my latest article, so do 11 out of 12 of the jurors.

3. Sonja

Now that the verdict is in, the question from the jurors today makes the judge’s response more odd to me. I’m not a lawyer, nor have a clue how Arizona’s ‘sexual’ laws are worded, and this is a tweet so little detail:

1 reply 4 retweets 3 likes
    Reply 1 Retweet 4 Like 3 Direct message

Kelcie Grega

@KelcieGrega
    4h4 hours ago
    Jury asks if bare-bottom spanking and rubbing of the bottom “constitutes as a sexual act.”
    Court agrees that it is not a sexual act.

This is ambiguous at best by the “AND”. I suppose one could argue about a man spanking a boy not his son bare-bottomed isn’t sexual, but rubbing the bare bottom? Twitter is not a reliable source. And now so many questions. I’ll wait to find out more.

Retrying with a new victim. Not over. And can’t help to wonder how many more victims will come forward.

4. JLC

Please also see a police report pertaining to Tom Chantry and his interaction with a student at a school near Chicago.

This is unrelated to any of the allegations Tom Chantry faced during his recent trial. Thanks. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

5. JLC

Thanks to all our readers. The verdicts can be viewed in the comments below and on Todd’s twitter feed.

Please view his recent tweets here:

You don’t need a Twitter account to view Todd’s tweets.

I think I will let Todd comment about his views regarding the verdicts later, as opposed to discussing mine at great length. I do not think that justice was served, yet believe that the members of the jury acted with integrity, and I am grateful for their service.

It is the dearest hope of myself and many others that the ARBCA leaders who indisputably covered up allegations of child abuse against Tom Chantry will be criminally tried for obstructing justice and sued in civil court.

Had they behaved with integrity as opposed to acting like members of a crime syndicate, the verdicts in this trial might have been quite different.

Thanks. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

1. Van Helsing

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong but with the two convictions he stands to serve at least 26-40 years. At least he’ll be off the streets and away from kids – hopefully. I want to know (maybe from the law prof) if he might be given bail and temporary freedom while he awaits the appeal that will, no doubt, be filed by Sears? Any takers on this?

1. 2samuel127 Post author

I was told today that the assault counts are a class 6 felony. Chantry faces a maximum of 1.5 years on each count but will probably receive less since this was his first offense. The sexual molestations counts are class 2 felonies. Conviction on a few of those would have sent him away for a very long time.

He was not taken into custody today, although Prosecutor Eazer attempted to get the Judge to do so. He status remains unchanged – he is free on bail until his sentencing on September 28th.

6. Rae

Tweeted by Kelcie Grega: “Jury finds #thomaschantry guilty on two aggravated assault charges, not guilty on one aggravated assault and one molestation charge. Mistrial on 4 molestation charges.”

Unfortunately for the victims, justice is often not particularly swift or satisfying. A request for everyone who’s been following these proceedings to keep upholding the victims and their families in your prayers. Not over yet….

1. Van Helsing

I think that the judge should get creative in sentencing and besides the long year sentence he hopefully receives – Chantry should be ordered to disrobe in court clear to his bare butt facing the jurors and be paddled until blistering with a metal boat oar by some guy who is 6′ 4″ and 275 pounds while his father, Walter, prays that they both repent before they die. Now that would be Arizona type justice. Also, there is good likelihood that Chantry may be killed in prison once it becomes known to the other prisoners that he was a former preacher who abused kids.

1. 2samuel127 Post author

Chantry disrobed? Not an image I want to dwell on. 🙂

7. Sonja

Partial verdict from Kelcie Grega, Verde News:

Tweets

Kelcie Grega

@KelcieGrega
    13m13 minutes ago
    #ChantryTrial : Jurors have reached verdict on 1 molestation charge and 3 aggravated assault. 9-3 impasse on 4 other molestation charges. Deliberations continue.

0 replies 2 retweets 2 likes
    Reply Retweet 2 Like 2 Direct message

Kelcie Grega

@KelcieGrega
    25m25 minutes ago
    Update: Jurors have reached a verdict on 4 of the 8 counts. 9-3 impasse on the rest. No movement since Thursday morning.

1 reply 1 retweet 1 like
    Reply 1 Retweet 1 Like 1 Direct message

That’s all she has for now. Praying for justice.

1. Susan

Which of your posts lists each of the counts against Tom Chantry?

Thank you for your work on this.

1. JLC

I’ll try to look that up. Thanks. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

2. 2samuel127 Post author

Day two, but maybe I will add them to day 14 as well.

2. Van Helsing

Since I am also highly “allergic” to orange jump suits and the air in court houses (court proceedings) does reaching a verdict mean that he was found guilty or innocent?

1. JLC

Thanks. I don’t think we’ll know what the verdicts are until the jury has completely finished deliberating about all the charges.

I suspect that may not happen today. Thanks. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

2. Samuel Conner

Given the proportion of the impasse, I’m inclined to suspect that there are a few doubters about the molestation charges (I find it hard to believe that a large proportion would disbelieve so many witnesses), but that there was a consensus on the simpler battery-type charges. If that’s right, it’s hopeful; there will be some consequences to TJC.

3. JLC

Thanks, Todd gave me the same info. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

4. Samuel Conner

Per this item,

3/4 concurrence in a jury of 8 is required to find in favor of the
      the plaintiff in a civil case brought in a court of record.

If those impasses are “guilty”-preponderant, it suggests that
      civil damages could be sought with a reasonable likelihood of
      success even if there are mistrials on the deadlocked counts
      and the prosecutor does not seek a new trial on those counts.

1. JLC

Thanks, I think that a civil suit would have a great chance of prevailing unless there’s a statute of limitations issue.

Unfortunately, the statute of limitations regarding filing civil suits about child abuse and child abuse cover-ups is often only 3-7 years, depending on the nature of the case.

That’s a big reason why corrupt organizations such as ARBCA and Sovereign Grace Ministries discourage victims from reporting abuse to civil authorities or posting on blogs.

In Sovereign Grace Ministries’ case, many victims didn’t realize that the organization was harboring a pedophile ring until they read stories on blogs about SGM that mirrored their own experiences regarding being lied to about what pastors knew about confessed (to the pastors) sexual predators in their churches’ midsts.

It’s likely also why some Christian organizations discourage people from seeing licensed mental health professionals, who are required to report child abuse to civil authorities.

Thanks. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

5. Douglas Belardi

The sad truth is sometimes ” beyond a reasonable doubt” is a hard standard to meet
      Curious to see ARBCA’s spin

1. JLC

I agree. Also, let us hope that people will boycott ARBCA.

Thanks. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

8. JLC

Hi Douglas,

You are profoundly misinformed. There are many heterosexual pedophiles. In fact, serious studies indicate that the rates for heterosexual and homosexual child sexual abuse are about the same.

Several women who read this blog have commented about being sexually abused, in a church setting, as children. In a case pertaining to Sovereign Grace Ministries, which was subject to a major lawsuit, a woman victim was gang raped as a child by men.

I am removing the link in your comment and will only ask you once not to use the blog as a means of spouting ignorance about gay people. Thanks. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

1. JLC

Actually, Douglas, your comment was so bigoted that I deleted it. Please don’t submit something so ignorant again. The idea that there is no such thing as a heterosexual child molester is ridiculous. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

2. JLC

The issue this blog primarily addresses is the cover up of child physical and sexual abuse. Suspected child abuse will be reported at any organization or church, at some point, given how prevalent it is in society. It’s how the people in these churches and organizations handle those allegations that really matters, as most child predators are serial child predators. Given what I’ve learned over the past seven years of doing advocacy work, I believe that the evangelical Protestant community is on the verge of experiencing the same fallout that the Roman Catholic Church has endured and is enduring.

I wish that wasn’t true, yet I don’t think that anything short of lawsuits and criminal convictions will end what has become a widespread culture of covering up child abuse instead of reporting it to the appropriate civil authorities. That is just my opinion, yet I believe that it is an informed opinion.

Thanks. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

9. Dee Parsons

I will be checking your site all day while waiting for the jury decision.

1. JLC

Since you’re the owner and moderator of a what I consider to be a great blog, I will personally send you an e-mail when I find out. Thanks. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

2. JLC

Hi Dee,

I checked with Todd and the jury doesn’t deliberate again until tomorrow, Tuesday. Thanks. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

1. JLC

Yes, and the jury may not even reach a verdict today, my friend. I hope that Tom Chantry is formally declared guilty in a court of law. However, in my opinion as a U.S. citizen and human being, there’s no question that he’s guilty of all these charges and that ARBCA/his family covered for him. No court verdict either way changes or even impacts that for me.

My dream would be attending a trial featuring Ted Tripp and other ARBCA leaders who indisputably obstructed justice by covering up allegations of child sexual and physical abuse against Tom Chantry, in my view. Their actions almost certainly led to other children being abused or put at great risk of being abused.

If these guys were normal mercenary human beings, that would be one thing. The fact that they prance around talking about what great Christians they are is disgusting and an embarrassment to Christianity, in my view.

Janna L. Chan (blog team member)

10. JLC

Hi Everyone, there appear to be some hosting issues this morning. Hopefully, they’ll be resolved shortly. Thanks and have a great Sunday. Janna L. Chan (blog team member)