Update on 3/29/16: A Current Member of Covenant Life Church Has Been Arrested For Multiple Counts of Child Sexual Abuse. P.J. Smyth has not commented on this issue despite being the Church’s Senior Pastor-Elect.
Is P.J. Smyth a Naive Opportunist or Just Someone Comfortable Indirectly Enabling Child Sexual Abuse
P.J. Smyth, a self-proclaimed (he does not appear to have formal Ministry training) Pastor from South Africa, has declared that critics of Covenant Life Church’s (CLC’s) decision to harbor pedophiles are part of a Satanic attack to stop his Godly Ministry per an undisputed statement about his comments at a recent Church meeting below:
To put the above commentary in context, Mr. Smyth has just accepted a job as Senior Pastor of Covenant Life Church, in Gaitherburg, Md, and is now dealing with (or ignoring) a fair and incisive article in the Washingtonian Magazine addressing allegations that CLC’s members and pastors have been covering up child sexual abuse for decades and are continuing to handle sexual abuse problems internally instead of reporting them to the police.
Please note that the above analysis should be attributed to Janna L. Chan, not the author of The Washingtonian article in question or anyone else, for that matter.
This leads me, a person who has advocated against the commission and cover-up of child sexual abuse at Covenant Life Church for almost 6 years by interacting with victims, supporting victims’ advocates in various ways, and following/disseminating information about the criminal and civil legal cases alleging or proving that pastors and members of Covenant Life Church have/are covering up child sexual abuse, wondering the following about Mr. P.J. Smyth:
- Is he indirectly (at least) covering up child sexual abuse at Covenant Life Church because he’s not real bright (i.e. a few beans short of a burrito?).
- Is he indirectly (at least) covering up child sexual abuse at Covenant Life Church because he doesn’t care if children get gang-raped by members of the Church he is now leading
Please Read The Washingtonian Article About Covenant Life Church
Before I continue, please let me show you how to find the article in question. At present, the article entitled “The Fall of a Mega-Church,” featured in the February 2016 issue of the Washingtonian magazine, can only be accessed by digital or print subscription at the following link: Subscription to Washingtonian Magazine The cost of a 1-year subscription to the Washingtonian is only $10/year so I hope anyone reading this post, who would like to know more about Covenant Life Church’s ongoing sexual abuse scandal, will purchase a subscription enabling them to read an excellent and fair article about that subject.
Comments on Mr. P.J. Smyth’s Reaction To The Washingtonian Article
Despite the fact that many of the allegations of sexual abuse and/or its cover-up are backed up by a lawsuit that was dismissed based solely on technicalities AND criminal convictions, Mr. Smyth made or endorsed the following assertions about sexual abuse victims, those who support them, and members of Covenant Life Church.
- The victims and their advocates are all part of a Satanic plot to halt his Godly divine Ministry.
- The members of Covenant Life Church should not worry about the lawsuits or criminal trials that U.S. lawyers and informed citizens think that Covenant Life Church pastors and members will soon by subject to. Mr. Smyth’s cronies in South Africa have assured him that CLC’s legal problems are over and they are clearly the experts on this subject.
- The critics of P.J. Smyth and Covenant Life Church, meaning child sexual abuse victims and their advocates, should be ignored because Mr. Smyth’s cronies in the U.S. and South Africa have assured him that dismissing them at this time is appropriate and wise. To my knowledge, Mr. Symth has never tried to directly contact CLC’s sexual abuse victims to ask whether they feel their abuse has been “dealt with.” Given that I know many of the victims, I’d probably know if he had.
Is P.J. Smyth Incapable of Thinking Rationally, Callous, or Both?
That is the question I leave you with, dear readers. Please note, members of Covenant Life Church have asked me not to interfere with P.J.’s Divinely Ordained destiny to lead Covenant Life Church in Gaithersburg, Md.
Let me assure the world that I have no intention of doing so. Mr. Smyth is welcome to risk going to prison for helping a dying disreputable American Church continue to cover-up child sexual abuse.
Thanks for reading!